Dear APIW Members,
We are thrilled to welcome you to the fall edition of our Member Newsletter and update you on the work of our Board and Networks these last 3 months.
Following our Board Strategic Planning Session on August 9th, one of our goals was to update our bylaws to refresh and simplify our membership criteria. With a unanimous vote of the Board to proceed, we will be formally bringing to the Members the ratification of the updated ByLaws. An enormous thanks to MaryAnn Taylor, our pro bono counsel, with whom this would not have been possible.
One of our primary objectives was to be sure we were including Professional Women from adjacent industries pivoting to insurance and the InsurTech arena as well as freshly minted talent entering the industry in a professional capacity. Well, I think we have done it!
Some highlights of the last 3 months are:
• We have welcomed 22 new members.
• We have welcomed 2 new Corporate Sponsors – SCOR Reinsurance and Zurich North America,
• Since August 1, we have held 6 Networking events with a total of 326 attending in Chicago, Philadelphia, NY and Atlanta. In fact, the Atlanta Network has organized another event for December 5th and we hope to have an official APIW Liaison, welcoming many new members from the Atlanta metroplex.
• Included in the above numbers was the superbly successful Axis hosted APIW & REUnder 40 Diversity and Inclusion Panel. Our very own Co-Program Chairs Marina Gass of Axis and Kara Owens of Markel led the way for this powerful and thought-provoking event.
• Newly designed Membership application and process. Co- Membership Chairs Kathleen Lyons and Julianna Muir have designed and updated our online application and with the help of our web designers this will soon be live. With the success of our Networks, we truly expect to attract many new members. The updated application could not come at a better time.
• New tagline – Pam Gorajek, APIW’s Industry Liaison officer has been working on a new tagline for APIW. “Creating a bright future for insurance with the women leaders of today and tomorrow.” Thank you to Pam and her Munich Re team for their inspiration!
Another one of our goals is to expand our geographic footprint and help build The Big Tent of Women advancing in our Industry. In this vein, we are organizing to have a dominant place at the IICF Global Women’s Conference in NY, June 12-14 2019, to announce and celebrate the APIW 2019 Insurance Woman of the Year to upwards of 700 attendees. Stay tuned for more important details and a huge thanks for our wonderfully engaged Past President Susan Zdroik who is leading the way.
With the holidays around the corner we give thanks to all we have and all of you. An over-arching theme I know we share is the absolute purpose of Women Supporting Women. Take a Bow, there is no greater gift one can give.
In closing, we will be celebrating the holiday season with a New Year’s event on January 16 at The Yale Club with the outstanding participation of Mr. Richie Whitt CEO of Markel Corp. Thank you Kara Owens! This is our traditional event shared with the New York Chapter of the CPCU and we know a sell out is inevitable with Richie, a simply phenomenal speaker! We are excited to see All of YOU there and toast the New Year at the beautiful Yale Club.
Please let us hear from you as we have opened our APIW LinkedIn page to celebrate you and your achievements!
With gratitude and thanks to the APIW Members and our Board.
Happy Holidays and see you in January!
All the Best, Barbara