I thoroughly enjoyed the stories and wonderful memories of all who attended the December 40th birthday luncheon for APIW! There are some truly incredible people in this industry who are gracious enough to share success and help others achieve their goals. In case you missed it, or if you want to revisit the fun we had, APIW will be publishing a special edition of the APIW Insider dedicated to our 40th birthday celebration. Thanks to all who made this event a reality and special thanks to those ladies who started it all.
A comment I heard from a few attendees at the December luncheon was that APIW should “think bigger” about our mission and impact on the insurance industry. The holidays have given me some down time to think about where we are headed – this topic requires some serious reflection. Thinking bigger is a challenge to us that will honor our past as an organization and set us on a solid footing for the future.
That’s why thinking bigger is going to be a key goal at APIW in 2017. Our board will be working on the details of that mission in the coming weeks. You’ll see us doing big things like:
- partnering with other groups to expand our impact,
- launching a new mentoring program with St. John’s School of Risk Management,
- re-thinking our membership requirements to provide young professionals greater opportunities to get involved with APIW,
- expanding to other cities (San Francisco and possibly Philadelphia),
- re-working our Woman of the Year selection process, and
- seeking out leaders who are at the cutting edge of all that is happening in our industry for their support
Phew – that’s a LOT to take on – and we don’t have all the ideas. What other ways could we #ThinkBIG2017? I’d be honored to have your thoughts and feedback. I’d be especially honored if you’d join us for the ride as we take on this challenge together!
Wishing you and yours a very Happy New Year filled with peace and prosperity!